Friday, August 15, 2008

Whose responsibility???

Yesterday, a gal came into the pharmacy wanting to pick up her prescription. We had never filled anything for her before, and had nothing waiting for her. She said her doctor's office was supposed to phone one in. "I called them 3 hours ago" "Well, they haven't called us yet, you may want to call them again and let them know you're here waiting." Her response to that? "Since when is that my responsibility? You're supposed to call them"
Ummm, excuse me? You've never been here before, we don't even know which doctor we were supposed to call...
Come on people! Take some responsibility for your own health care! What's next? Are you going to expect me to go to your house to shove the damn pills down your throat, too?????

6 comments:

kyree said...

What about those patients who call you up at the pharmacy and say, "My doctor wants you to call them to get a prescription for me for X." What the heck is that about? Is the doctor just being lazy? Obviously the patient has the pharmacy's phone number...

Shalom said...

@Kyree: The only reasonable explanation for that, other than doctors' laziness, is that they have a pay phone in their office and they can't find a quarter.

I generally tell patients that while I'll call doctors with refill requests, it's the doctor's job to call me with new prescriptions. If they insist, I'll call, but I'll do it when, as & if I get the chance. If the office is closed by then, {shrug} oh well.

captcha: "eqwakta" Sounds like Lenni Lenape...

Micky said...

Don't you know you are supposed to have psyquic power, as well?

tgcougar86 said...

that's like the lady who gave me the dumbfounded look (almost a look of shock) when I told her she needed to call her doctor.

kyree said...

Don't be silly... if SHE calls the doctor, they might want her to actually make an appointment because they haven't seen her for two years. You want her to spend money on something frivolous like a doctor visit?

hrw102779 said...

What!! Are you saying I have to remember to take my own medication?? What is this world coming to?