Tuesday, July 29, 2008

some people.... I swear....

Today, there was this gal who was already ranting up a storm the moment I walked in (I closed today). Being the ultra-observant, responsive, support-my-staff manager that I am, I approached the customer and asked what was going on and if I could help. Turns out Medicaid was denying her methadone script. She was freaking out telling everyone who would listen that she was pregnant and that her withdrawals could kill the baby. In my state, Medicaid only allows two fills of the same drug per calendar month, and this was her third. After some research, I decided we could call and get an override, and told the gal that she should let her doctor know not to write 10 day supplies of anything for her if she's going to be on them long-term. She bitched and moaned the whole time we were contacting medicaid, told me about having it stolen from her when she left her drugs on a picnic table in a park (WHY the hell you would just leave methadone lying around, I'm not sure....) As all this is going on, I see her bouncing a baby on her knee - was it hers, I asked? Nobody knew. hmmmm. She gets her drugs, leaves, and as she leaves, tells her friend that she's never coming to this f-ing pharmacy again. WTF? We just helped you get your fix! Then, not FIVE minutes later, Medicaid calls US and says they noticed many irregularities... Like the story about the picnic table - she told Medicaid that the person who was picking her script up from the pharmacy for her stole it. Like 90 days worth of methadone being filled over the last 30 days in a total of 6 separate pharmacies. I look at her profile, read it all off to the medicaid lady, and we start suspecting that this gal isn't pregnant at all, and this "withdrawal will kill my baby" line is BS. First off, no record at Medicaid of any prenatal care. Second, a script for Plan B (the morning after pill) just 2 months ago. We're beginning to think that she LOOKS pregnant from post partum weight (the baby she was bouncing was less than 6 months old), and she's scamming us all....
Oh how I hate that! And worse yet, if you're successfully scamming me (after all, I did get you your drugs today), at least be NICE to me! You can bet I'll be outing her to her doctor - already left a message for him to call me...

1 comment:

James H said...

I thought that methadone couldn't be RX'd for opioid dependency, only for pain management. At least in the US.