Friday, July 4, 2008

Day before a holiday

I want to post a sign - a really big one, with bright red lettering - in my pharmacy that says "Failure to plan ahead on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine" Except that it seems like 90% of my customers can't read, so it wouldn't do any good...
It was amazing just how many people came in yesterday with PILES of scripts - 5 or 6 per person - expecting them to be done immediately because they were leaving town and in a hurry. Most of these scripts were written about a week ago. We always try to be honest about how long filling the scripts will take, so a lot of the day we were saying it would be an hour or so. "What? THAT long????" Um, yeah... You've got 6 scripts yourself, and I've got 22 people waiting ahead of you... "But I'm leaving town!" Sorry, we'll go as fast as we can...
What we really wanted to say, but exercised remarkable self-control, was "Well, Mr. Dumbass, why didn't you think of that when the doctor wrote these 6 scripts on June 27th instead of waiting til 3pm on July 3rd when your flight leaves at 6pm?"
I gotta find a sign maker....

1 comment:

mensch642 said...

Procrastination means, literally, putting something off until tomorrow. It is the national sport of all prescription customers. Holidays and impending inclement weather each cause the people and their prescriptions to salt out, as does their amazement at the predicament they fashioned for themselves. They bump up against reality.

Reminds me of the time I first conceived of the institution in transportation known as the layover. "The next bus out of Cleveland leaves in four hours." the lady said. "YOU'RE KIDDING!" I shouted. That was the day I first learned that I leave the schedule, as well as the driving, to Greyhound.