Friday, June 20, 2008

Other managers

No, I'm not talking other pharmacy managers. We are all cut from the same cloth, and judging from the plethora of pharmacy blogs out there, I'd guess that no matter which company you work for, it's always the "same shit, different day".
The stupid people I'm talking about are the managers from other departments within the store. They have NO clue about what it takes to run a pharmacy - not from a procedural standpoint, or a legal one. For example....
The phone calls I get multiple times a week that start out with "You need to come back here right now and [do whatever inane task they think is important]" This could be to pick up a delivery in receiving, fill out some form in personnel, or correct a problem in invoicing. Whatever. I usually respond with a resounding "No", since I can't legally leave the pharmacy until another pharmacist is there. Then, they all gather in the break room at some later time (usually when one of my techs is there) and talk about what a bitch I am...
Or when the Asset Protection (loss prevention, security, whatever title you choose) manager asks me to notify him if a certain kleptomaniac comes in, knowing that she and her husband are also patients of mine. She's standing in line at my register, so I call the AP office-no answer. Text message from my cell to the manager - no answer. Overhead PA with "code" phrase to get AP over to the pharmacy - no response. Call on the walkie talkie for management to come to the pharmacy - no answer. Call the manager's office - no answer. Give up and decide that I don't care if she takes off with another $700 worth of electronics - it doesn't affect MY bonus...
Just before inventory, being told by a manager to delete all the items that we've manually entered into the system. Usually special order products - we're supposed to keep our customers happy, right? We order junk that we don't usually stock and then the people never come pick it up. I tell the manager I can't delete the items, because the product is still on the shelf. "You have to" OK - and just how are we supposed to count these items on inventory day???? I don't delete them, as a matter of fact, I spend 5 hours on my day off re-entering the ones that these stupid other managers have already deleted. Then inventory day rolls around.... half of the items have been deleted again.
So to all the "other managers" - until you go to pharmacy school, then spend a couple of years learning to balance all the management crap you expect me to take care of with filling prescriptions for 10 hours a day, DON'T TELL ME HOW TO DO MY JOB! Take a look at the P&L every month and look at the millions of dollars my department contributes every year and just accept that I know what I'm doing and get out of my face....

(not that I really think any "other manager" is reading a pharmacy blog, because the world revolves around grocery, garden center, toys, housewares, or some other department...)

3 comments:

RPh2005 said...

My managers are all afraid of me. I'm not sure why, but for some reason they are. Everything I seriously ask for I get...which is odd because I really have no power.

sickofstupidpeople said...

Thanks for rubbin it in 2005.... Nobody is truly afraid of me - I just get called a bitch!

lyttlethingsmttr said...

I'm reading it, I'm the Store Manager . . .