Monday, June 2, 2008

Names....

I consider myself to be an observer of cultural and socio-economic trends. One of these trends is to name a child something outlandish in an attempt to be "unique". In my opinion, there's unique, and then there's stupid. Some names I've seen recently:

Surrenahdi - presumably, this is pronounced the same as "serenity"?

Twins named Donte and Dante - and mom gets mad because we can't tell the difference when she calls in for refills...

Neiljohn - a combo of dad's middle and first names, maybe??
Anjohnneil - Neiljohn's sister (seriously....)

Kayshevona, Kaytreona, and Kaysheona - sisters, thankfully not triplets....

Blaze - that's a name I'd give a horse, personally (or maybe a superhero?)

Ok - people can name their kids whatever they want. The real stupidity here is when the "unique" parents get pissed off at those of us who can't pronounce the names. Hey - you're the one that invented the name - don't get mad at me!

(The REALLY stupid thing is that spell check didn't highlight ANY of these names!)

9 comments:

MrHunnybun said...

You have to hate the phonetic names and the ones wih made-up silent letters.

Jayson, Jorge, Alicks. Every variation of Madison (Maddison, Madison, Madyson, Maddyson, Maddeson)

Mostly they make me laugh. I feel sorry for the porr kids and their trailer-park names.

There seems to be a craze for white people giving their kids black names-Leticia, etc.

Pharmacy God said...

I was helping out at a neighboring pharmacy once as a spawn of Satan was tearing up the OTC section.

Child's name....... Precious Angel.

Jaymz said...

This site is a must read for anyone who hates the crazy names people use.
http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/index.html
The associated message board is also great:
http://www.bigbadbabynames.net/forum/

My all time favorite name from work has to be the kid named Wyld. Last name is a euphemism for penis. Who does that?

sickofstupidpeople said...

Jaymz - that's hilarious! I nearly wet my pants laughing at that site! Thank you!

KC in Fla said...

I have a couple to add:
Twins= Jassy & Jazzy ( and yes- parents get REALLY ticked if you mix up the names *headdesk*)

And another from the WTF were they thinking file:
Last name= Roll
First? You guessed it= Rockin. ( and this is a GIRL!!??

athena5681 said...

I know someone's son's name is Orion Jericho.... she must like the stars...

Denise said...

Gosh, these poor freakin kids with names. Dont you wonder what the parents are thinking??!!!

Rph Mommy said...

Champayne.
Aureola.

Two of my favorites. Luckily they weren't related.

Shalom said...

I'm pretty sure that spellcheck won't check capitalised words, probably assuming that any random collection of letters that starts with a capital letter is a name.

I came across an Antwon once. I have a feeling that his mom didn't know how to spell Antoine.