Monday, May 12, 2008

Doctors are human, too.....

Which means there are plenty of stupid ones!
I know, most people think their doctors are the most intelligent, god-like creatures on the planet. But I know the truth. Don't get me wrong, there are good, even great, doctors out there - I know some personally. But then, there are the idiots, the ones who...
Write prescriptions for drug strengths that don't exist. And the patients who argue that the doctor is right are just as stupid. "You can have your metformin in 500, 750, 850, or 1000mg - but not 875 - I'll call the doctor" "But the doctor said I HAVE to have that amount!" "Well, it dosn't exist" "Yes it does - the doctor said so!" Oh right - it does exist - let me pull it outa my ass real quick for ya....
Write prescriptions for drugs that haven't been manufactured in years. Suprax tablets? Yeah, I remember them. Drug of choice to treat clap. They stopped making them about 7 years ago. Doc? You may want to actually ATTEND a continuing education class at the next conference rather than playing golf....
Write directions that are impossible to follow. No, you can't cut a capsule in half. I recall walking into my mother's kitchen a number of years ago, only to witness her attempt at cutting a capsule. Before I could get "Don't do that" out of my mouth, the powder from inside the capsule was all over the kitchen. "Why did you do that, mom?" "Well, the doctor said if I freeze it first, I can cut the capsule in half." Note to doctors - if you freeze powder, all you get is cold powder.
Refuse to follow the law when writing prescriptions. There's all kinds of laws regarding prescriptions. So many, that I probably don't even know them. But, a few are so basic and clear, even the dumbest doctor should be able to get it right. Wrong. No cursive handwriting - stupid, waste-of-my-time law, but with good intentions - to get the doctors to write legibly. Some doctors have better cursive than they do printing, some have totally bad writing no matter what. But when I call, tell them the law, ask to clarify the prescription, and get "That IS my printing", I want to ask for their third grade teacher's name so I can chew her out! The DEA# has to be on the prescription for a controlled substance. Pretty basic - but when I call to ask for the number, the office refuses to give it out over the phone - then we have to fax. I point out that it should have been on the script in the first place, and get "I never write it on prescriptions for security reasons - you should have it on file" Doc? If you don't want to write out your DEA#, then stop writing for Vicodin....


Next up, dumb nurses....

1 comment:

Shalom said...

Actually, Suprax 400 was just reissued. Quite expensive, though ($391.55 per 50 tabs, wholesale), especially considering that the patent ran out years ago...