Thursday, April 24, 2008

Stupid phone calls

I probably deal with as many stupid people on the phone as I do in person, but two calls in my entire career stand out as the worst (best?).
I'll start with number two. It falls under the "Just because you know my name" category.
My name is on a sign on the wall outside the pharmacy, plaques on the wall inside, my nametag, business cards, etc... This invites a lot of idiots who think that just because they know my name that I have to be the one they talk to. For everything. And I do mean everything. My techs are getting pretty good at screening these calls for me, but occasionally one slips through. This one started out "Hi, Mrs Pharmacist, this is Jane. I'm calling beacuse I need to get a blender and I...." I stopped listening at that point. Hello? Why on earth would you call your pharmacist about a blender???
The all-time stupidest (is that even a word? Well, it is now - I like to coin my own now and then) call - actually, multiple calls from the same bonehead - was many years ago when I worked in a hospital. I was on the night shift, and a man called and asked for the pharmacist. I said "Speaking. How can I help you?" He says "No, I want the male pharmacist." I was the only pharmacist there, and told him such. He proceeded to go on and on about how many female pharmacists there were and asked me why that was. "I don't know. How can I help you?" Then the call got really weird - "Well, there are still more male pilots than female pilots, aren't there?" I decided that the call was stopping there, and told him I was hanging up unless he had a pharmacy question - he hung up first. But then, persistent little idiot that he was, continued to call back and give me the same speech every hour or so. After four or five of these calls (getting shorter and shorter - I started to recognize his voice and would just hang up) - he had to get the last word in. Phone rings. I answer. All I hear is a man screaming at the top of his lungs "More men pharmacists!" and a click.
Okey dokey. Now we've established that there is stupid, and then there's just plain crazy...

3 comments:

sabrina said...

Lmao had not heard that one so funny but so wierd!

Your friendly neighborhood pharmacist said...

Oh wow. I can honestly say that I haven't heard that one. Wow. Just when you think people can't get any worse...

rxgirl42 said...

WHEN i FIRST GOT OUT OF PHARMACY SCHOOL THERE WERE NOT THST MANY FMALE PHARMACIST AND ONE COMEDIAN CAME IN TALKING SMACK ABOUT HE DIDN'T KNOW IF HE WANTED A WOMAN FILLING HIS RX-bUSY mONDAY AFTERNOON-ITOLD CLERK TO DIG HIS OUT OF THE PILE OF RXS-CAME OUT OF RXY AND HANDED HIM HIS RXS BACK AND TOLD HIM IF HE DOUBTED MY COMPETENCY SINCE I WAS A FEMALE MAYBE HE WOULD BE MORE COMFORTABLE GETTING THEN ELSEWHERE-HE TURNED BEET RED APOLOGIZED AND STAYED AS A REPEAT PATIENT