Saturday, April 19, 2008

Does it LOOK like we're open?

Webster's dictionary defines "closed" as "not open". I see many, many customers who need to buy a dictionary....
Most pharmacists that I know arrive at work about half an hour before opening for the day. We run reports, listen to voicemail, fill prescriptions that have been called into the automated refill system during the night - things to prepare for the day.
Not a day goes by where I don't have at least one person come to my pharmacy before business hours and ask if we're open yet. Let's see... Door's closed, gate's closed, lights are off - does it LOOK like we're open?
The ultimate stupid person shouts to me through the closed gate - "Are you open?" I say, "No - we open at 9" Dummy shouts again (gate has holes in it - no need to shout, really) "Can I drop off my prescription anyway?" Again, "No - we open at 9" More shouting - "How about if I just shove it under the door?" I'm starting to feel like a recording - "No - we open at 9" Mr. Brilliant tries again - "What if I go through the drive-through?" I don't want to say it again, but I do - "No - we open at 9" He tries one last time - "What if I fold it up and stick it through the hole in the gate?" I'm getting fed up - "I'm not going to say it again - NO - we open at 9" One last shout from him - "Well, you don't have to be a bitch about it!"
Well, I may be a bitch, but at least I'm not stupid....

2 comments:

Your friendly neighborhood pharmacist said...

Oh. My. God. I feel your pain.

TGCougar86 said...

I think I was there with you when this one happened... Definitely similar ones. I shake my head every time.